1. the power or process of creating especially unrealistic or improbable mental images in response to psychological need
an object of fantasy also a mental image or a series of mental images (such as a daydream) so created
2. a creation of the imaginative faculty whether expressed or merely conceived: such as
3. a chimerical or fantastic notion
His plans are pure fantasy.
4. imaginative fiction featuring especially strange settings and grotesque characters
spent the summer reading fantasy — called also fantasy fiction
5. fantasia sense 1
the organ fantasy of Johannes Brahms
6. a fanciful design or invention
a fantasy of delicate tracery
7. fancy especially the free play of creative imagination
served to fulfill the king's fantasies
9. a coin usually not intended for circulation as currency and often issued by a dubious authority (such as a government-in-exile)
11. of, relating to, or being a game in which participants create and manage imaginary teams consisting of players from a particular sport and scoring is based on the statistical performances of the actual players
13. something that is produced by the imagination an idea about doing something that is far removed from normal reality
14. the act of imagining something
15. a book, movie, etc., that tells a story about things that happen in an imaginary world
16. imagination sense 1
The plan was a product of pure fantasy.
17. something produced by the imagination
His fantasy is to win a million dollars.
18. the power or process of creating especially unrealistic or improbable mental images in response to psychological need
an object of fantasy also a mental image or a series of mental images (as a daydream) so created
sexual fantasies of adolescence
What does Contemporary Fantasy Fiction mean and what are its unique aesthetic enchantments? And how can Fantasy inspire us in the development and study of literature?